Friday, July 10, 2015

Couldn't Be Simpler (and Banana Pancakes): a Guest Post from Mr. Half Baked

S. is a man of few words.  So when he says he has some to share, I have to take him seriously.  Here's his guest post.

***

The lesser-known fourth law of thermodynamics states that things are always complicated, and only get more complicated as time goes on. Never simpler.  This applies to all aspects of life, such as taxes, politics, cell phones, daily kid schedules, and food rules.  Tonight wasn't looking any different.  As our weekly food shopping cycle comes a close and the refrigerator is bare, we sometimes revert to what we call "Breakfast for Dinner".  Tonight was one of those nights.   For I, this is exciting as it means scrambled eggs, one of his favorites.  For N, it's complicated and only seems to be getting more so.  As a parent, I'd like to get some eggs into her for protein.  The problem is that she doesn't like any eggs she can see and taste.  French toast used to work, but not any more, not even with the promise of maple syrup.  She wants pancakes, and she's adamant about it.  Pancakes from scratch are a lot of work, and there's really not much protein in them.  And after all the effort, she probably won't even really eat them.   Dinner is suddenly getting complicated.

Desperate for a compromise solution, I turn to the internet and search for "recipe pancakes eggs".  Lo and behold, one of the top hits is this.  I can't believe my eyes.  Just two ingredients, eggs and bananas.  That's it.  No flour, no baking powder, no butter, no sugar, no nothing.  Two ingredients, and I have both of them.  And to top it all off, it looks like a web page that J might even read sometimes.  It has that strong female bloggy vibe.

In just minutes I have my first batch ready.  N eats her first one in record time.  I sees them and has to have a couple of them too.  They both claim that these are their new favorite food.  "Even better than marshmallows?"  "Yes, better than marshmallows."

I don't know if I believe they're actually better than marshmallows, but I'm grateful for a simple dinner.  Simple to make, simple to eat.  A rare exception to the fourth law.
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Recipe for the win!

    I make something similar sans bananas that I got from a cookbook called 1-2-3. I call them "cloud pancakes."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these for AJ a couple of times! she was more interested in playing with them than eating them but maybe I'll try again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fantastic for so many reasons. First, S! Thanks for writing about a problem that we face here, to. Second, I'ma try this. Third, "It has that strong female bloggy vibe."

    Delicious post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I finally tried this. I was really excited because both my kids eat both these things, so I thought, put them together for the win! Sadly, my daughter gagged, but my son are quite a few before declaring he was "all done now," and he's just as picky as his sister. I'm going to try the ramped up version on the website you linked to next time and see if my daughter likes them better with some nutmeg and vanilla.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...